Skip to main content

Comic Book Conversations #8: Sophie Campbell

Art by Sophie Campbell

Writing, illustrating, coloring, and lettering - Sophie Campbell does it all. For the eighth edition of Comic Book Conversations, comics creator Sophie Campbell goes into detail about reading reviews of her work, offers advice to aspiring creators, talks about her career, and so much more. Now, let’s get to know Sophie a little better!

GREGG KATZMAN: What jobs did you have before you broke into the comics industry?

Art by Sophie Campbell
SOPHIE CAMPBELL: My first ever job was at a gardening place, I had to tag flowers and move saplings and things like that, although on my first day they made me clean the bathroom which was a horrible nightmare. I was eventually fired, which remains one of the best days of my life. After that I worked at a small fabric shop which I loved, then I moved on to a screenprinting place for years which was also cool but eventually left me feeling kind of useless because I wasn't very good at it, but they kept me employed because we'd all become friends, rather than any work-related reason. Which was nice of them, but I was depressed because I knew I sucked at the job.

GK: How old were you when you realized you want to make comics? Do you remember what inspired you?

SC: I was doing comic strips when I was a kid, Calvin & Hobbes was my first big inspiration, then the original Eastman & Laird TMNT comics is what really got me into it. In high school I kinda fell off of doing comics and actually wanted to do either fashion design or writing prose novels for a while, even when I went to art school I still didn't really take the comics thing seriously until senior year when I realized I actually liked drawing comics a lot. I had to do a senior thesis project thing and I did 20-something pages of the first Wet Moon comic ever, and I found that I really loved it and I think that was kinda the turning point. I'd done other small comics assignments before that but it didn't click until that senior project.

Cover by Sophie Campbell
GK: What's it liking having the opportunity to create your own comics (Wet Moon and Shadoweyes) and work on popular franchises like TMNT and Jem and the Holograms?

SC: It's amazing! I like going between the two, they both have things I like and dislike and they scratch different itches. Doing work-for-hire gigs is nice because of the money and having someone else steering the ship so I can focus on the work, and of course getting to put my stamp on characters I love. But it's always great getting to go back to my creator-owned comics where I control everything and I don't have to worry as much about whether the work is "good" or not because it's my own thing and there's less riding on it, I can focus on what I have fun doing. They both have different mindsets for me. Getting to do TMNT in particular has been so cool, I wonder what my 10-year-old self would think.

GK: It's a very stressful industry. If you ever experience doubts, how do you pick yourself up and motivate yourself to keep creating comics?

SC: I experience doubt all the time, I feel like maybe that comes with the job for most people. This is one area where work-for-hire excels, if I'm doubting myself and the work or if something gets bad or middling reviews, it messes me up mentally and emotionally, but I don't usually have time to stop and wallow over it. I have to keep working because other people are counting on me, that's a big motivation for me, I don't want to let them down even though I'd rather go crawl into bed. With my creator-owned work it's a bit harder because I don't typically have the same rigorous schedule on that so it's easy to let myself put the project down and do something else. Which I've done before, I've postponed projects for years because of doubts or not feeling satisfied with something, I've scrapped entire scripts and hundreds of pages of thumbnails because of uncertainty. I wish I had a method to get past that and motivate myself, but sometimes I need to just step away, get some perspective and come back later for the motivation to return. Also, sometimes whining to friends about it and getting a pep talk helps, too.

Art and lettering by Sophie Campbell
GK: There are probably some people reading this interview who want to make comics. What advice can you offer them?

SC: The first piece of advice I always give is to be friendly. Even if you're doing webcomics and not interested in traditional publishers, being friendly to others is the most basic step toward getting your work seen and building a network of friends and readers. Something else I see a lot in people who want to get started doing comics is them saying it's too hard or they keep starting and stopping and redoing things, and I think if you're at that stage you really need to look within yourself and question whether this is something you really want to do, even if it's just for fun. If you're struggling even taking the first steps and you're not having fun with it, then that's a message that your heart is sending you, in my opinion. Comics can be rough and a slog sometimes, yes, like anything creative can be, but I really feel like if it's causing you more stress than fun or excitement, maybe comics isn't for you. And that's fine! Or if you're really determined, then find what's fun about it and go from there. Over the years I forgot how to have fun with my comics and I had to get back to basics and find what I enjoyed about it again, and I really feel like that's a huge aspect of it. Otherwise the work suffers and you suffer. And finally, do life-drawing!! Whether it's drawing from photos or going to a live model drawing. Don't bother with anatomy tutorials by other artists and that type of thing.

GK: What's the best part about writing and illustrating comics? What's the most difficult part?

SC: The best part for me is coming up with the characters and who they are, what they look like, how they act and interact with each other. That's something that's especially satisfying for me when I'm doing both the writing and art, I can immerse myself in it and not have to run ideas by anyone about how I want a character to be. The most difficult parts are staying excited on long projects and sticking to a schedule and making your own hours since I work at home. It's really easy to get derailed when you have the internet at your fingertips and you have a cute needy kitty who needs cuddles. It's difficult to shut myself off from the world when I need to get work done.

Art by Sophie Campbell, Victoria Robado, and Shawn Lee
GK: Do you read reviews of your work?

SC: Sadly, yes. I'll go through short phases where I don't care and won't read any, but I always seem to go back to reading them. Which is probably a bad idea because on average I feel like I tend to get middling reviews for my work, my reviews are much better now than they were in the first half of my career, I've gotten some of the worst most scathing reviews you can imagine, haha. Just ripped to shreds. For some reason the middling ones bother me more than the scathing ones, like I'd rather someone totally despise a book than just shrug and say "it's okay I guess." Sometimes really horrible reviews galvanize me in a weird backwards way, like I turn into a stubborn sneering kid and the criticism makes me want to flip them the bird and do more comics. It depends on what the reviewer is criticizing though, like if they criticize something I did intentionally then I don't mind that because that's just a difference in opinion, but if they criticize something I didn't mean to do, like something offensive or something I messed up or didn't realize I was doing, then that gets to me. Reviews are also weird for me because it's like I both want to get them and DON'T want to get them at the same time, not getting them is much less stressful and I don't have to worry about what people are saying and I can just do my thing, but that also starts to nag at me like does the lack of reviews mean people aren't paying attention and don't care about reading my comics? I know that's kind of silly because the readers/fans aren't usually the ones writing the reviews, they're still there regardless of how many reviews there are, but it still makes me dwell on it sometimes. And then at the same time sometimes I don't WANT people to be paying attention so I can just do my thing and have fun and not have to worry about people watching, sometimes it's nice to be off the radar. I don't know what I want.

Art by Sophie Campbell
GK: What do you think is a big misconception about comic creators and the industry?

SC: That freelancers are having a blast partying at home all day and you can bother us whenever you want because we're not at a place of work like an office. That's probably the biggest thing for me anyway, even 15 years into my career and people still kind of treat it like I'm goofing off all day. Or when I tell someone new that I draw comics, a lot of times they act envious because they assume comics is a nonstop party.

GK: I'm a lifelong TMNT fan and I absolutely loved your work with the franchise. What was the most challenging part about bringing the Heroes in a Half Shell to life? What about the most exciting part?

SC: Thank you! The hardest part at first was dealing with the licensors and testing their boundaries of what I was allowed to do and what I wasn't, that was rough for me, I was too much of a fan. But things are a breeze now on TMNT and I wouldn't say there are any difficulties with the more recent work I've done on it. Maybe the hardest part now is just doing work that lives up to what the characters are in my imagination. The most exciting part is when other fans cite me as one of their favorite TMNT artists or that my renditions of the Turtles are their favorite, that's always amazing. And when Kevin Eastman is excited about what I do!

GK: Is there anything else you would like to say about your upcoming work and your career as a comics creator?

SC: I can't say much about what I have coming up, as much I'd want to, unfortunately, but I hope people like it. I'm hopefully going to be doing a fantasy comic soon, and also the next Shadoweyes installment (which will be the end of the series).
Art by Sophie Campbell

Thanks for reading the eighth edition of Comic Book Conversations – links for the other interviews are below. Be sure to follow Sophie on Twitter and follow me onTwitter for site updates!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s