Skip to main content

Comic Book Conversations #4: Vita Ayala

Cover by Natasha Alterici; artwork by Khary Randolph & John Rauch

Vita Ayala has a promising future in the comics industry. Vita has a brand new series on the way from Black Mask Studios (The Wilds) and worked with Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics, and DC Comics. In the fourth edition of Comic Book Conversations, Vita explains the excitement of having a new series on the horizon, addresses a misconception about the industry, and offers some great advice to aspiring creators. Now, let’s get to know Vita a little better!

Cover by Emily Pearson
GREGG KATZMAN: What did you do for work before writing comics?

VITA AYALA: A LONG list of things. Most recently, worked in comics retail (for about 10 years), and night security at a major museum (just shy of 4 years).

GK: When did you know you wanted to become a comics creator and what inspired you to pursue it?

VA: I have known I wanted to write since I was in 6th grade. Or rather, I have been writing stories since I was in the 6th grade. I started with prose, like many do, but the dream was TV, because I was a latchkey kid who was glued to the tube for obscene amount of hours a day. In 2012, I was working at Forbidden Planet in New York City with a buddy of mine (Matthew Rosenberg), and he pushed me to pitch comics.

GK: How'd you break into the comics industry?

VA: Matt Rosenberg introduced me around to everyone he knew in comics, and vouched for me. That was the foot in the door for me. Also, Steve Orlando has been in my corner for years, and has brought me on to work with him on some of his books, which has been a joy. I worked hard to polish my writing (do every time I sit down at the computer), and was fortunate enough to be given a chance at Black Mask Studios and through the DC Writer's Workshop. I got to show people what I could do, and that I could take notes. So hustle, constantly trying to up my game, and being in the right place at the right time I guess!

GK: If you ever experience doubts about your choice to create comics, what do you tell yourself to brush 'em aside and keep moving forward?

VA: Constantly. I am a very anxious person! I... I guess, I don't. When I was sixteen, I made a decision to go after what I want, or give up on everything. This is what makes me happy. I am capable of doing a job, but writing is the dream. Go for broke - go BIG or go home - because why else bother? Other people in my life, who I trust and love, tell me that they believe in me. I have very low self-esteem, but I believe in THEM, so I keep going.

Cover by Klaus Janson and Alex Sinclair
GK: What was it like the first time you held a comic that had your work in it?

VA: It was UNREAL. I reread it like eight times, haha. It was the New Talent Showcase, and I had a story in it that was illustrated by Khary Randolph. It is beautiful to look at. I didn't CRY, but I would be lying if I didn't admit to being choked up. There is that scene in the first episode of CSI (regular CSI) where Catherine talks to the rookie and gives her the big speech about the rush. I DEFINITELY felt the rush!

GK: Lots of aspiring writers seek advice and they're usually told to keep at it and finish what they begin. What advice can you offer them?

VA: Learn how to take notes! This is number one for me. VERY few people can hit all the beats on the first try - learning how to take notes graciously, and how to look at the spirit of the note (as opposed to just the specific letter) can really make a HUGE difference. Writing is a solid half RE-writing.

Make friends with your peers. HELP EACH OTHER. Y'all are coming up together and will be the next generation of creators. Be good to each other.

If you are asking something of someone, be willing to reciprocate. And generally, just treat people how you want to be treated. Say please and thank you.

Write, write, WRITE. Do it like you're running out of time. Never stop. Carry a notebook and write down all your ideas, even if you think they are dumb. Write down snippets of conversations. They will be your stories later.
Cover by Phillip Sevy
GK: What are the best and worst part about being an up and coming writer?

VA: Honestly, it is all kind of amazing. Stressful, but amazing.

GK: What's it like having a series - The Wilds - on the way from Black Mask Studios? Is the experience different than working with DC, one of the biggest publishers?

VA: It's amazing. I feel like a new parent, trying to do everything I can to make sure my kid gets all the chances they need to shine. Black Mask Studios has been a publisher I have adored since the Occupy Comics and 12 Reasons To Die days, and being able to have a book there is a thrill!

Creator owned comics are a different beast than franchise comics. I love them both!

Cover by Natasha Alterici
GK: Do you check out reviews of your work?

VA: I check out reviews from sites/accounts I trust when they come across my TL on twitter, or if people tag me. I think real constructive criticism is invaluable, and that you always have something to learn. Abuse is a waste of time - one that I don't engage with - but honest criticism is a good as praise.

GK: What do you think is one of the biggest misconceptions about the industry?

VA: That there isn't room for people and their stories. There is a lot of worry that there is already a [insert type of person] writer or artist or whatever, so that position is taken. There is no quota for types of people. I hope that my book help show that, and that more people - especially people of color, people of the lgbtq+ community, and ladies - get the bug and storm the industry.

GK: Who do you think is an underrated comic book character that deserves their own series?

VA: Renee Montoya, always. Misty Knight, always.

GK: Is there anything you would like to add about your career and upcoming work?

VA: I hope to have a single issue coming out every month of the year from here on out if possible, and hopefully I will have some more books announced soon, but even if not, I really think The Wilds is something special! People should watch Emily (Pearson, the artist), because she is a rising star!

GK: Thanks, Vita!

Thanks for reading the fourth edition of Comic Book Conversations – links for the other ones are below. Be sure to follow Vita on Twitter and follow me on Twitter for updates about the site.

Comments

  1. Enjoyable interview. I definitely feel motivated to keep writing and to keep accepting feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading the interview with Vita and I'm glad it provided you with some motivation!

      Delete
    2. THAT'S MY CUS SO PROUD OF HER.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s