Skip to main content

Comic Book Review: Old Man Hawkeye #1


·         Ethan Sacks (writer)

·         Marco Checchetto (artist)

·         Andres Mossa (colorist)

·         VC’s Joe Caramagna (letterer)


Back when it was announced that Old Man Hawkeye would get his own limited series, I admit that I wasn’t the biggest fan of the idea. I love Mark Millar and Steve McNiven’s Old Man Logan – it’s without question one of my favorite Wolverine stories, right up there with Millar and John Romita Jr’s Enemy of the State and Frank Miller and Chris Claremont’s Wolverine limited series.

I’m glad the older version of the adamantium-clawed hero is continuing his story in the primary Marvel Universe, but looking back on his world didn’t really seem necessary to me. I know it’s not very open-minded to be skeptical right off the bat, but I was left wondering how they could possibly top what Millar and McNiven accomplished. But that’s a very flawed opinion, isn’t it? A story shouldn’t have to be superior to a previous piece of work to justify its existence, especially since it may have completely different themes. Instead, I should’ve been asking myself, “How can Old Man Hawkeye expand on Old Man Logan’s twisted and interesting premise?” Welcoming us back to Old Man Logan’s brutal world – the Wastelands – and then quickly adding to it is easily Old Man Hawkeye #1’s biggest strength, and I can’t wait to continue exploring this ruthless world in the second chapter.

First and foremost, the visuals play such an important role in bringing us back into this cruel and bleak environment. Checchetto, Mossa, and Caramagna’s work makes our trip back to the Wastelands feel familiar. It’s harsh, it’s shockingly violent, and you can tell just how dirty and rundown the country has become, as well as the toll it has taken on its inhabitants. The eyes are the window to the soul, and Checchetto and Mossa do such a fantastic job making sure these characters are so expressive. Everything you need to know about how Clint Barton’s feeling can be read through his eyes and his brow. When Clint is looking at Claire Temple, his eyes are just oozing sadness and you want to give the old guy a hug. When Clint takes on Old Man Multiple Man (or is it just Old Multiple Man?), you can appreciate his focus and cringe as each arrow makes an absolutely vicious impact. Visually, the emotion and the violence are perfect, and those are two key ingredients for any story that’s going to take place in the Wasteland.

Old Man Logan was about a broken man who was eventually forced to take action. Old Man Hawkeye is about a man who knows he’ll soon lose something that’s so important to him – his sight – and he wants to take action right away. He knows who he is and what he wants. This approach immediately helps it stand apart from Millar and McNiven’s story, but it’s Sacks’ exploration of the Wastelands that really helps the story grab you and yank you into this messed up setting. Kicking things off with a savage Multiple Man encounter helped set the tone and prove that Old Man Hawkeye isn’t pulling any punches – it’s just as ferocious as you’d expect it to be. Without spoiling anything, I will say that a familiar face slithers back into the story and that’s sure to be a fun scene for an upcoming issue, so it's a nice little teaser. Plus, the cliffhanger is packed with potential. Again, I won’t spoil anything, but I will say that Hawkeye has never had a proper battle with this foe and it really should’ve happened by now. Knowing that it’ll go down in the Wastelands means it’s sure to be as intense as it should be. Here’s hoping it’s one for the ages.


Minor criticisms: Obviously, this is a setup issue, so it doesn’t really pack that much information about Clint’s mission and that makes it more difficult to be emotionally invested in it right now. To be completely fair, Millar and McNiven’s Old Man Logan didn’t reveal the emotional twist until the fifth chapter, so I’m sure the emotional connection will come in due time.

I thought I wouldn’t want to return to the Wastelands, but Old Man Hawkeye has proven me wrong. If the creative team continues to have fun expanding on this sinister setting and giving Old Man Clint this much heart, consider me locked in for all twelve issues. If you also adore Millar and McNiven's Old Man Logan storyline, you should definitely pick up Old Man Hawkeye and enjoy yet another trip to the Wastelands.


Thanks for reading my review of Old Man Hawkeye #1! You can follow me on Twitter here for updates about Comic Book Conversations.

Comments

  1. Love the review. Seems like a great comic and I love Hawkeye as a character, he's actually my third favorite Avenger. I also enjoy the detail you put into your review, I can tell you're really invested. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review, you have an eloquent way with words that really help "paint the picture" of the story. After reading this review I am even more excited to read this book and series! Bravo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I hope you enjoy the issue.

      Delete
  4. Very Nice. I will need to check this issue out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice review, thanks to you and the way you put words together I'm eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a really good issue, I hope you have a great time reading it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s