Skip to main content

Comic Book Conversations #6: Mike Hawthorne

Art by Mike Hawthorne & Nathan Fairbairn

Artist Mike Hawthorne has spent years bringing Deadpool’s adventures to life and he’s had the opportunity to illustrate Amazing Spider-Man, All-New Guardians of the Galaxy, Conan, and many more. In the sixth edition of Comic Book Conversations, Mike talks about his career as an artist, what it was like crafting a fight between the King of Wakanda and the Merc with a Mouth, and gives some advice to aspiring artists. Now, let’s get to know Mike a little better!

Art by Mike Hawthorne & Val Staples
GREGG KATZMAN: What did you do for work before becoming an artist?

MIKE HAWTHORNE: Ha! Yeah, I did all kinds of stuff. I worked as a cook for a while, after college, then began taking work as a designer and advertising illustrator. I used to do work for the 76ers, back when Iverson was on the team. Coloring books, print ads, TV stuff, etc. I used to do storyboards for commercials and film, but always with an eye towards comics.

GK: When did you know you wanted to illustrate comics? Did anything in particular inspire you?

MH: As a  kid. Maybe 12 or so. First time I saw a comic and figured out that folks actually DID this as a JOB, it kinda blew my mind. Up till then I was drawing graffiti and stuff. I used to earn money drawing people's names or a character for them, so finding out you could do that on a bigger scale made it seem real for me. I knew then I wanted to draw comics professionally.

GK: How'd you land the Deadpool gig and what's it like creating his hilarious, brutal, and heartbreaking stories?

MH: Kinda by mistake. I was working on a French series, wanting to take a break form American comics after a year on Conan, and Tony put my name in the hat to pitch-in on the series. I'd turned it down at first, as my schedule was nuts, but once I got to know Gerry and Jordan I realized this was my kind of gang. Then getting to know Wade made me want to stray longer!
Art by Mike Hawthorne, Terry Pallot, and Jordie Bellaire

GK: What was it like getting to choreograph the fight between Deadpool and Black Panther?

MH: Dude, so much fun! It's great when a writer trusts you enough to block out a chunk of script to let you do your thing, and it's one of the great parts of having a long running partnership with another creator. Plus, it was Black Panther!! Visually, one of the coolest Marvel characters to draw, and the kind of ass-kicker I love having Deadpool go against. You kinda know going in that Wade would get his ass handed to him, but not lose... if that makes sense? SO, yeah, TONS of fun to draw!

Art by Mike Hawthorne, Terry Pallot, and Ruth Redmond
GK: It's a really competitive and tough industry. What helps you stay positive and focused on your career?

MH: Oh man.... that's tough. I think for me the key is knowing when NOT to do things. Early on I found conventions weren't really my thing, so I stopped going, despite the accepted idea that you must go to them if you want a career. You have to know when to turn down things, even if it seems crazy. I once turned down a video game job, for a company that offered to double my pay, because I knew my family and I wouldn't be happy. To quote Derek Sivers, if it's not a "HELL YES!" it's usually a "no" from me. That usually keeps me happy and sane.

I also try really hard to only be about the work. As long as I feel good about what I'm drawing, I'm usually happy.

All that other shit that is NOT drawing is something for other people. I need to focus on the art and improving my draughtsmanship come hell or high-water.

GK: Plenty of aspiring artists are told to keep drawing, but what's some other advice you can offer them?

MH: There's a reason they're told that: Draw is life, dude.

Seriously, get good as fast as you can. I STILL practice, I mean literally practice. I go to figure drawing at least once a week, sometimes twice. I practice things I feel I'm struggling with. Animal anatomy is one I've been on lately.

Besides that, I'd say you gotta make stuff now. Don't wait for someone to give you permission, make your comics or animation or film NOW, with whatever resources you have. I didn't even own a computer when I self-published my first book, but I found a way. I went back to my old high school and used theirs. Do whatever you gotta do to make your thing, and good things will happen (given time). I promise. 
Art by Mike Hawthorne, Terry Pallot, and Ruth Redmond
GK: Do you read reviews of your comics?

MH: Yes. I shouldn't. Larry Hama yelled at me not to back when we did G.I. JOE, but I can't help it.

Thing is, even when it's bad, I try to see what that person saw and figure a way to tweak my art for the better... unless they're clearly just hating. Then, pffft! 
Art by Mike Hawthorne
GK: What's the most difficult and most satisfying part about being an artist?

MH: Most difficult is the feeling that you're shoveling your way out of a hole all the time.

Most satisfying is when, while digging, you hit treasure chest every so often. It might be a killer script you get to work on, or a character you love, or a creator you respect.

GK: What's a big misconception about comic artists?

MH: That we're happy.

HA HA! Just kidding! We're always happy!

yeah..

Happy.


GK: Congrats on the Amazing Spider-Man work! What's it like bringing the wall-crawler's world to life?

MH: Dude... dude.... it's so incredibly weird. Spidey is one of those characters I recall first drawing as a child, and getting to work on him now is surreal. Thinking of the pedigree of artists who've worked on Amazing Spider-Man makes me feel humbled and unworthy! It's a weird feeling, for sure.. but the book was even more fun than I expected! I'm a lucky dude!
Art by Mike Hawthorne, Terry Pallot, and Marte Gracia
GK: Is there anything you would like to add about your career and upcoming work?

MH: Just to say thank you to everyone who's been kind and supportive. I feel like I'm one of the rare creators that got to connect with people slowly and steadily, instead of all at once because of being on a hot book or whatever... so I have folks who have supported me forever no matter what book I'm on. I'm so grateful for that.

So, thank you!

GK: Thanks, Mike!
Art by Mike Hawthorne & Jordie Bellaire

Hey, thanks for checking out the sixth edition of Comic Book Conversations – links for the other interviews are below. Go follow Mike on Twitter (and buy his art)  and follow me on Twitter for site updates. Despicable Deadpool #300 is on sale May 9, 2018.

Art by Mike Hawthorne

Comments

  1. I really enjoy reading these pieces from professionals in the field. Getting a small peek into their thoughts on the field usually has one or two highlights that make me smile or think. Wonderful read, as usual! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erik! More interviews are on the way :)

      Delete
  2. I really loved his artwork on deadpool! Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Black Panther Deadpool fight was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure was, Dylan! Thanks for reading the interview.

      Delete
  4. Met Mike at a signing in Gettysburg such a stand up guy and he signed some comics and an action figure for my multi interest group. Very inspiring fellow and a kick ass artist to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had the pleasure of working with Mike for two signings while I was at Midtown Comics and he was a total blast. He was sincerely appreciative to all of the fans and made sure they had fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s