Skip to main content

Kraven: The Best Hunt There Is - Chapter Two (Fan Fiction)

Written by Gregg Katzman; Old Man Logan art by Phil Noto; Kraven art by Michael Lark


PAGE ONE: FIVE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Exterior of a coffee shop in midtown Manhattan. It’s early in the day, so the sidewalk is packed with people that are rushing to work. The sign over the coffee shop’s entrance says “Sorrentino’s Super Coffee.” 

PANEL TWO
Old Man Logan’s sitting at a table by himself in the corner, holding a cup of coffee. He’s relaxed while wearing a plain white tee shirt and jeans. There’s a newspaper on the table, directly in front of him. 

PANEL THREE
Close-up of Logan holding the coffee near his nose as he enjoys the scent before taking a sip.

PANEL FOUR
Close-up over Logan’s shoulder of the newspaper while he holds it open. The main headline states “Deadpool Sued by NYC Food Truck Alliance” and features a photo of the Merc with a Mouth fighting a cook in front of a “Hawthorne’s Hot Dogs” food truck.
OLD MAN LOGAN: Damn it, Wade.
MAN OFF-PANEL: Is this seat taken?
OLD MAN LOGAN: Have at it.

PANEL FIVE
Kraven the Hunter – dressed in a suit, not his usual costume – is sitting at the opposite end of the table, staring at the X-Man. Logan flips through the paper, blatantly ignoring Kraven.
KRAVEN: Hello, James. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you. I am –
OLD MAN LOGAN: Spider-Man’s punching bag. Yeah, I know who you are. If you’re huntin’ for some coffee, you can get it over there.
KRAVEN: Ha! I’m surprised you’re here instead of a bar.
OLD MAN LOGAN: A guy can’t start his day with a good cup of joe? Startin’ to regret that decision now that you’re here.

PAGE TWO: FIVE PANELS
PANEL ONE
Kraven’s shoulders are back and his legs are crossed as he stares at Old Man Logan from the other side of the table. Logan continues to disregard Kraven as he takes a sip from his coffee while reading the paper.
KRAVEN: I respect you, so I’ll be blunt. You claim you’re the best there is at what you do. There’s one little problem, though: I am the best there is at what you do.
OLD MAN LOGAN: Good for you, bub. I’m sure your parents are real proud.

PANEL TWO
Kraven leans forward, continuing to stare at Logan while the X-Man completely ignores him.
KRAVEN: Listen, James. You’re an X-Man, so I’m sure you understand what it’s like trying to become a better individual while also striving to become the best mentor possible. I’m doing my best to do the right thing here - truly, I am - but I need to know which one of us is the best. You claim it’s you. Be a man of honor and prove it to me.
OLD MAN LOGAN: I got nothin’ to prove to you, jungle boy. And honor ain’t about words, Kraven - it’s about actions. What kind of honorable man challenges someone to a fight before they’ve even finished their morning coffee?

PANEL THREE
Close-up of Kraven’s face as his expression turns from friendly to determined.
KRAVEN: This isn’t optional, James. Either you accept my challenge and we meet tonight under fair circumstances, or I’ll have to pursue more… dramatic methods to get what I want. 

PANEL FOUR
Logan is still ignoring Kraven as he casually flips through the paper. Kraven continues to keep his gaze locked on Logan.
OLD MAN LOGAN: You’re a lot dumber than you look if you think threatenin’ me is gonna work.
KRAVEN: Again, I have no desire to bring other people into this. I am genuinely trying to become a better man, but if you will not humor my request, then I’ll do what needs to be done to make it happen. Win or lose, you will never hear from me again once the fight is over - I promise you that. The choice is yours, James.

PANEL FIVE
Logan finally stares back at Kraven, clearly unamused.

PAGE THREE: THREE PANELS
PANEL ONE
Logan puts the paper on the table and takes another sip of coffee. Kraven remains leaning forward, eagerly awaiting Logan’s response.
OLD MAN LOGAN: Eh, what the hell. It’s been a long week and tearing into you could feel pretty good. If teachin’ you a lesson in humility tonight means I won’t ever see you again, then sure, I’m in. But are you really sure you want this, bub? This ain’t like fighting with the wall-crawler. I ain’t gonna joke. I ain’t gonna flip around. It’ll be me popping my claws and then you on the ground, wishin’ you stuck to playing around with the web-slinger.

PANEL TWO
Kraven’s face lights up with a grin.
KRAVEN: You know, we have a lot in common. We both love to pretend we’re noble men, but deep down, we’re both nothing more than predators that simply want to rip into something that deserves our bloodlust. You can deny it all you wish and enjoy pretending you belong with heroes, but you know how good it feels when you’re looking down at your defeated prey.
OLD MAN LOGAN: You talk too much. 

PANEL THREE
Kraven slides a note across the table.
KRAVEN: Here are the details. You bring your adamantium claws, I’ll bring my adamantium knives. No nets. No poisons. No traps. This will be a fair fight and we’ll see who is truly the best.
OLD MAN LOGAN: Your funeral, bub.
KRAVEN: We shall see, James. We shall see...
Logan by Andrea Sorrentino & Marcelo Maiolo; Kraven by Chris Samnee & Matthew Wilson



PAGE FOUR: THREE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Close-up of Ana’s eyes as she has a focused expression.
ANA: You thought you could run, didn’t you?

PANEL TWO
Close-up of Ana’s sinister smile.
ANA: But there’s no escaping a Kravinoff.

PANEL THREE
Close-up of Ana’s eyes again, but this time a look of bloodlust has taken over.
ANA: You’re nothing more than helpless prey to me… and now it’s time for you to die.


PAGE FIVE: SIX PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana’s standing in front of the TV in the Kravinoff living room, furiously mashing away at the video game controller as she leans forward, focused on the TV and determined to win in the fighting game. The game’s a nod to Injustice: Gods Among Us - it’s called Justice: Heroes Among Us and features characters who look similar to DC’s iconic heroes. The match is close - both characters have low health. Ana’s character is “Mighty Millar” (looks similar to Batman) and her opponent is “Legendary Lee” (looks like Superman).
SFX from the TV: Thwack! Thwack! Thud! Pok! Pow!

PANEL TWO
Close-up of the TV screen as Ana’s character get hit by an uppercut, losing all of her character’s health.
SFX FROM THE TV: DEFEAT!

PANEL THREE
Close-up of Ana’s face as her expression goes blank.

PANEL FOUR
Close-up of Ana’s hands as she effortlessly crushes the controller while gripping it.

PANEL FIVE
Ana’s livid while holding the broken controller and staring at the TV which still says “DEFEAT!” across the screen.
ANA: GRRRR…

PANEL SIX
Ana opens up a nearby cabinet, revealing boxes and boxes of extra video game controllers.
KRAVEN OFF-PANEL: Ana! Come to the training room!



PAGE SIX: FOUR PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana angrily walks into the training room. Kraven - now dressed in his costume - is grabbing his adamantium knives from the wall.
ANA: WHAT?

PANEL TWO
Kraven looks taken aback at his daughter’s sudden outburst.
KRAVEN: Excuse you?

PANEL THREE
Ana tries to collect herself - frustrated with enduring yet another loss - as her father puts one of the blades on his belt and spins the other one.
ANA: I just…I’m just frustrated, father. 
KRAVEN: Frustration is inevitable, Ana. How you deal with it is entirely up to you.

PANEL FOUR
Kraven holds the adamantium blade and runs his finger along its edge.
KRAVEN: You can let it cut into you and tear you apart as you lose your focus. Or, you can wield it and let it motivate you to fix your mistakes.

PAGE SEVEN: SIX PANELS

PANEL ONE
Kraven places the second adamantium knife on his belt; Ana’s interest is piqued.
KRAVEN: Tonight, I’m going to hunt the Wolverine.
ANA: Yes! Father, I have planned for this! What do you think about -

PANEL TWO
KRAVEN: I am going to hunt the Wolverine. You are not.
ANA: But father, I -
KRAVEN: You’re not ready. Did you learn nothing from earlier today? 

PANEL THREE
Kraven places his hand on Ana’s shoulder while she looks disappointed.
ANA: You’re… you’re right. It’s just.. I know can help!
KRAVEN: This is not your hunt. In time, you will face the challenges that you crave, but you must be patient. You’re far too rash to take on such a dangerous hunt. If he stabs me, I will heal - you will not. 

PANEL FOUR
Kraven smiles as he comforts his saddened daughter.
KRAVEN: How about this: If I fail tonight - which I will not, of course - I will play your silly video game with you.

PANEL FIVE
Ana’s expression lights up.
ANA: Good luck, father. I love you, but I hope you fail.

PANEL SIX
Ana hugs her father.
KRAVEN: I love you too, child.


PAGE EIGHT: FIVE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Old Man Logan is walking around a wooded, dark and isolated area of Central Park. He’s still wearing his jeans and plain shirt.
CAPTION: 12:30AM, CENTRAL PARK

PANEL TWO
Close-up of Old Man Logan’s nose as he sniffs the air.

PANEL THREE
Wide Shot of Old Man Logan as he looks at a tree in the distance. It’s tough to see, but Kraven can be spotted hiding on one of the branches.
OLD MAN LOGAN: Okay, let’s get this over with.

PANEL FOUR
Kraven leaps out of the tree, landing about 20 feet in front of Old Man Logan.
KRAVEN: So glad you could make it, James. 

PANEL FIVE
Close-up of Logan’s hand as he pops his adamantium claws in the foreground. 
SFX: SNIKT!
In the background, Kraven’s standing with his two adamantium blades, ready to fight and with a giant smile on his face.

CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER THREE

Thanks for reading chapter two - stay tuned for the conclusion! Be sure to follow me on Twitter and like the site's official Facebook page for updates. Thanks again!
Old Man Logan by Andrea Sorrentino; Kraven by Chris Samnee & Matt Wilson


Obviously, these characters are property of Marvel Entertainment and this story is unofficial. I'm writing it purely for fun, and hopefully you're having fun reading it.

Comments

  1. I quite enjoyed this, it was a great set up for the big fight. I also really liked the homage to Injustice, as well as how you portrayed Kraven and Logans personality. Keep up the good work!
    - Cdiddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm trying to focus purely on character in this story, so it's great to hear you think I'm handling their personalities well. As for the big fight, I'm hoping it'll be worth the wait :)

      Delete
  2. Marvel just needs to go ahead and publish this...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s