Skip to main content

Kraven: The Best Hunt There Is - Chapter One (Fan Fiction)

Written by Gregg Katzman; Kraven & Ana artwork by Ryan Stegman; Old Man Logan artwork by Andrea Sorrentino & Marcelo Maiolo

It's no secret that I kind of love Kraven the Hunter. I had no interest in the Spider-Man villain back when I was a kid (I barely remember him from Spider-Man The Animated Series) but that all changed when I read J.M. DeMatteis and Mike Zeck's phenomenal story Kraven's Last Hunt - if you haven't read it, fix that mistake. A character that wasn't even on my radar suddenly became one of my favorites. It became clear to me that Kraven's so much more than an arrogant villain who loves to monologue. I've written multiple articles about why Kraven should get his own limited series or make more appearances (Comic Vine article, Midtown Comics article, Screen Rant article), and now that he's returned from the grave and has a daughter, I think there's a lot of story potential. So, I figured it's time to stop writing articles about Kraven and start writing some of the stories that I'd like to see.

Up first: Kraven vs Old Man Logan. For years, I've wondered why the world's greatest hunter has never gone after Wolverine - that hunt totally makes sense, right? When I came up with this story idea back in 2017 (a rough draft of this story exists on the Comic Vine forums), Wolverine was still trapped in adamantium, but the alternate future version of himself, Old Man Logan, was running around the primary Marvel Universe. So, why not have Kraven go after him? He's still worthy prey! If anything, it's a more balanced fight since Old Man Logan's healing factor isn't as good as Wolverine's, and he isn't as gifted as a fighter, either. Well, it turns out Old Man Logan and Kraven will officially meet in Old Man Logan #41 & #42. Hopefully that official conflict will be all kinds of exciting, but in the meantime, here's the first chapter of a story that's been bouncing around in my head for a couple years now. Two more chapters are on the way!

Obviously, these characters are property of Marvel Entertainment and this story is unofficial. I'm writing it purely for fun, and hopefully you'll have fun reading it. Now, grab a drink and get cozy because it's time to read!


INTRO PAGE:
Sergei Kravinoff, aka Kraven the Hunter, is the best there is at what he does, but what he does is not very nice. The son of a Russian Aristocrat, Sergei had the means to spend decades traveling the planet to hunt the most formidable and dangerous creatures. After experimenting with a variety of herbal potions, Kraven gained superhuman strength, speed, durability, agility, and slowed aging. He eventually came to New York to pursue a new challenge: Spider-Man. Defeated time and time again by the clever hero, Kraven felt incomplete and became obsessed with beating the wall-crawler. When Sergei finally defeated Spider-Man, he felt at peace and took his own life.

Kraven’s wife (Sasha) and his children (Vladimir, Alyosha, Ana) used blood magic to resurrect their father, hoping to restore the Kravinoff name to greatness once again. Brought back against his own will, the resurrection granted Kraven immortality and he can swiftly recover from any wound. Only Spider-Man – or someone with the hero’s DNA – can permanently end Kraven’s life, but he can effortlessly recover from any other injury.

Now, all that remains of Kraven’s immediate family is his overly ambitious daughter, Ana – all of Kraven’s physical attributes were passed down to her.  With only his daughter left, Kraven has a new mission: Teach Ana to become better than himself – not just as a hunter, but also a person.
But before Kraven embarks on this new mission with his daughter, he has one more hero to hunt…


PAGE ONE: FOUR PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana’s staring at her reflection in a large mirror in one of the Kravinoff family’s lavish bathrooms.
ANA: You can do this.

PANEL TWO
Ana places her hands on the counter and leans closer to the mirror, still staring into the reflection of her eyes.
ANA: You can do this.

PANEL THREE
Ana’s hands are now clenched into fists as she leans against the counter with her knuckles.
ANA: He’s beaten you every single time. But that changes today.

PANEL FOUR
Close-up of determined expression as she continues to stare at her own reflection with confidence.

PAGE TWO: FIVE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana kicks open the door to the Kravinoff training and sparring room. The walls are full of various weapons – knives, spears, bolas, nets, darts, etc. – and there’s a giant open space to practice martial arts and melee combat.
ANA: It’s time to train, father! Today, you will finally know what it feels like to lose!

PANEL TWO
Ana looks around, confused that her father is not there during their scheduled sparring time.
ANA: …father?

PANEL THREE
Ana’s eyes narrow as she believes she has walked into an ambush, thinking her father will surprise her at any moment.
ANA: I’m ready for anything! Come out and face me!

PANEL FOUR
Ana looks confused as her father speaks loudly from another room.
KRAVEN: Child! Come to the living room.

PANEL FIVE
Ana grabs a bo staff from the wall.
ANA: Right away, father…

PAGE THREE: FIVE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana leaps into the luxurious living room, armed with a wooden bo staff. Kraven is sitting comfortably on one of the couches. He’s dressed casually – sweat pants and a plain tee shirt – while enjoying a warm cup of coffee.
ANA: Get ready to lose, old man!

PANEL TWO
Ana strikes forward with the bo staff, stopping it only an inch from Kraven’s throat.
KRAVEN: Don’t be ridiculous, daughter. Put down the staff and get comfortable. We have a different kind of training today.

PANEL THREE
Ana is clearly upset.
ANA: I won’t fall for your tricks! Get up and fight me!

PANEL FOUR
Kraven’s expression changes from relaxed to stern.
KRAVEN: Put. It. Down.

PANEL FIVE
Ana’s flustered but obeys as she lets the bo staff drop on the floor.
KRAVEN: Good. Would you like some coffee?
ANA: No. What I’d like is a fight.
KRAVEN: And you shall have it, but not right now. Sit.

PAGE FOUR: THREE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana sits near her father as he takes a sip of coffee – she’s annoyed while he’s calm.
KRAVEN: I’m incredibly proud of you, Ana. You’re fearsome. You’re brave. You’re gifted. You’re far more dangerous than I could have ever hoped to be when I was your age.
ANA: Thank you, father.
KRAVEN: I know you want nothing more in this life than to be just like me. But you’re so eager to be just like me that it blinds you to the obvious. You don’t even see that I’ve been such a fool.

PANEL TWO
Ana’s confused while her father begins to open up, revealing a little more vulnerability in his expression.
ANA: …Excuse me?
KRAVEN: You’re all that I have left. You are more important to me than anything in this world. I… I can’t let you make the same mistakes that I’ve made. Allowing that would be my greatest failure.
ANA: Father, you –
KRAVEN: Please, Ana. Listen. How much did time I spend obsessing over the Spyder? I held him in the highest esteem, yet all he did was mock me and act like a child. I was awe-struck by his power, but power doesn’t make one great, does it? A strong body is nothing without a strong mind, and ego has prevented me from being truly great. You suffer from the same weakness, and I can only blame myself for that.

PANEL THREE
Kraven continues to be vulnerable while Ana grows defensive.
ANA: This is ridiculous.
KRAVEN: Is it, though?
ANA: Yes!

PAGE FIVE & SIX: DOUBLE-PAGE SPREAD

Wide shot of the Kravinoff family’s vast living room with Ana and Kraven sitting on a couch. One wall has floor to ceiling windows (and a glass door that connects to their balcony with a beautiful view of Central Park), one wall has various trophies. The room is spacious and clean, only consisting of expensive furniture, packed bookshelves, a large TV against the wall with a video game console underneath it. (Ana plays video games. Kraven… isn’t a fan.)
KRAVEN: You’re young. I was just as determined and arrogant at your age. It took me decades to realize that I am my greatest enemy. How long will it take you?
ANA: You’re wrong. The Spyder may act like an idiot, but he was a worthy foe. You beating him is something to be proud of!
KRAVEN: If you really want to impress me, you’ll listen.
ANA: …Sorry, father.
KRAVEN: All your training. All your drive. It’s so admirable and I know you have the potential to become so much greater than I ever was. But if we don’t change our focus, you’ll go down the same path that I did… a selfish path that has no room for joy or empathy. Please, trust me when I say that is not a life you want. You’re still going to become the most formidable woman this world has ever seen and honor the Kravinoff name. You’re still going to dedicate your life to hunting worthy prey. But we need to change our definition of “worthy.” We need to focus on prey that deserves to be hunted, Ana. We need to stalk the truly despicable people of this world. They will be our prey.
ANA: This is absurd. Do you want me to wear a cape, too?
KRAVEN: Don’t be daft. Those fools see the world in black and white. It’s not that simple and it never will be. Everything will be the same – the only difference is who we’ll hunt. It’s really a quite simple but important change.
ANA: If I humor your idea, can we finally train?
KRAVEN: If I win, you’ll have to do more than humor my idea – you’ll have to accept it.
ANA: Fair, but it’s a good thing I’m not going to lose.

PAGE SEVEN: SIX PANELS

PANEL ONE
Ana swiftly elbows Kraven in the throat, forcing him to spill his hot coffee all over himself and the couch.
ANA: Ha!
KRAVEN: Argh!

PANEL TWO
Close-up of Ana grinning.

PANEL THREE
Ana is standing, ready to fight. Kraven is still sitting on the couch, soaked in coffee.
KRAVEN: Updated deal: You’re cleaning the couch when you lose, too.
ANA: If I lose.

PANEL FOUR
Ana attempts to kick Kraven in the nose while he’s still on the couch, but he blocks her attack.

PANEL FIVE
While blocking Ana’s kick, Kraven sweeps Ana’s other leg.
ANA: No!

PANEL SIX
Ana hits the floor.

PAGE EIGHT: THREE PANELS

PANEL ONE
Large panel. Kraven stands over Ana. He’s grinning while Ana is clearly upset.
KRAVEN: I look forward to our new adventure, daughter.

PANEL TWO
Kraven walks away as Ana starts to get back up.
KRAVEN: But before we begin, I have one last hero to hunt.

PANEL THREE
Kraven looks back at Ana, smirking.
KRAVEN: Oh, and thank you for cleaning the couch.

CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER TWO


Thanks for reading chapter one – stay tuned for more chapters! As always, your honest feedback is greatly appreciated. Be sure to follow me on Twitter and like the official Facebook page for site updates.

Comments

  1. Kraven is a child-batterer...

    I enjoyed this quite a bit. I hope you take the time to continue the story. FF never gets as much support because people are usually only concerned with canon stories or their own FF but I fully endorse a Kraven vs mystery opponent who may or may not be Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll definitely finish this story arc.

      Delete
  2. I'm loving it! Can't wait to see what happens next, it really feels like you have a great grasp of the characters, but are also able to realistically bring out a different side of them than what we are used to. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their intereactions. They felt strongest when they were short back and forths. I think the weakest dialogue is the longer segments by Sergei at the end. None of it was bad though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super dope set up and love seeing this side of Kraven. Also, definitely going to check out Last Hunt now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If you like it, be sure to follow-up with Grim Hunt.

      Delete
  5. That was a great read, Gregg!. The story captures Kraven's voice perfectly and I even like how you have structured it based on panels. Will read on for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thank you very much! Really means a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. Loved it. Keep up the good work on this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s