Skip to main content

Celebrating Zack Snyder's Man of Steel on its 5th Anniversary



Written by Gregg Katzman


I was able to see director Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel early. The film opened on this day five years ago, but thanks to being a freelance writer for Comic Vine at the time, I had the opportunity to attend a screening on June 11 at the AMC in Lincoln Square. My memory is a little fuzzy on the details before and after the screening in New York, but I have a vivid memory of how I felt while watching the first DC Extended Universe movie.
I remember having my jaw-dropped during the remarkable opening sequence on Krypton. I remember Hans Zimmer’s epic score elevating just about every single scene. I remember Amy Adams’ Lois Lane being an impressive investigative journalist by quickly discovering Superman’s identity (her blasting Kryptonians was a nice bonus). I remember Kevin Costner’s handling of the line “you are my son” making me hold back a tear, and I remember feeling heartbreak and understanding as he did his best to help his son but wasn’t completely sure how to handle their totally surreal situation. I remember being awe-struck as Superman struggled to battle Kryptonians in Smallville while also trying to save soldiers. I remember being filled with joy as Kal-El wore the iconic costume for the first time and learned how to fly. I remember Michael Shannon’s Zod feeling like a truly imposing and engrossing villain, and Antje Traue’s Faora-Ul being the ultimate badass villain (and not to mention Martha Kent standing up to them). I remember being completely captivated as Superman almost gave his life to stop the World Engine. I remember Superman’s gripping battle with Zod and being stunned by the display of power and how the cinematography followed them as they zipped around the city – it was (and still is) unlike any other cinematic superhero battle that I’ve seen. I remember feeling pure happiness during the movie’s final line and Clark Kent’s smirk. And when the credits began to roll, I remember feeling completely blown away and wanting to watch it all over again.



Man of Steel is one of my favorite comic book movies. It brought Superman into a world that felt like our own, took a more realistic approach to how the world may react to such a drastic scenario, and reminded us that the hero’s conflicts are frightening but also inspiring. It sprinkled in Easter Eggs to build a universe while keeping the focus on the most important element: character. It's yet another blockbuster end of the world plot but handled everything in such a refreshing way. Man of Steel didn't play it safe and it challenged us to imagine Superman's emergence - and the threats that come with it - in our own world.  
Look, I understand why Man of Steel is such a divisive movie – Superman is such a beloved character, and everyone has their preconceived notions of what he should be. Many people wanted a film that has a tone like the classic Christopher Reeve ones, and that’s totally okay – they’re such lovable films and so many people have amazing memories attached to them. However, I appreciate that Man of Steel tried to do something a little different while staying true to the hero’s most important quality: wanting to help others, even if it means putting himself in danger. Being someone with Superman’s power shouldn’t be easy. Raising someone with his kind of power shouldn’t be simple. And when it comes to saving the world from genocidal aliens with terrifying power, it shouldn’t be all jokes and smiles.



I understand why so many people dislike Man of Steel, but I love it. Happy fifth anniversary, Man of Steel.

Thanks for reading my editorial! Follow me on Twitter or like the official Facebook page for site updates. You can also find me on Vero under my name (Gregg Katzman). Thanks again!

Comments

  1. Yeah, it was a pretty good movie and imo received too much hate.....well from nerds anyway. Here's hoping to a legitimate sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, still keeping my fingers crossed for MoS 2. At this point, it seems unlikely Snyder would direct, but maybe he'll still be involved as a producer.

      Delete
  2. It has been 5 years already?! Wow. I remember seeing the Kevin Costner teaser for this. That gave me goosebumps. Then seeing the Jor-El version made me even more pumped. I was not let down at all. This movie delivered. If I was given the power to go back in time and stop Snyder from making MoS, I would still be a normal, powerless human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the teasers/trailers for MoS were SO good.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s