Skip to main content

Please, Stop Saying New Cartoons "Ruin Your Childhood"


Just like so many other people out there, I adored several animated shows back when I was a kid (and still do). I was born in 1985, so I was lucky enough to grow up with iconic shows like X-Men The Animated Series, Batman The Animated Series, the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles show, The Real Ghostbusters, Spider-Man The Animated Series, and several others. These animated adventures brought me so much joy and made me fall in love with these franchises. They encouraged me to go watch the Batman and Ninja Turtles live-action movies, and eventually, they motivated me to start reading the comics. I was hooked at an early age. Now, whenever I hear any of the classic theme songs or see a picture of these older shows, I feel nothing but pure happiness – these shows gave me so many good memories. I’m 32 years-old and proud to say that my ringtone is the classic and epic X-Men theme song. It’s totally playing in your head now, isn’t it? It’s so catchy.
You can also hear this GIF, right?
Many of these franchises have become more and more popular over the years, which means there’s a frequent need to reinvent them to create a whole new generation of fans. These new incarnations usually have updated character designs, different animation, and a new approach to familiar storylines. After all, giving people more of the same wouldn’t be very creative, would it? Sometimes, these new takes will immediately win you over and the show is amazing, like The Spectacular Spider-Man. Sometimes, the changes can be off-putting at first, but once you give the show a fair shot, you can see that it’s actually a pretty terrific series – Beware the Batman immediately comes to mind. But sometimes, a show makes significant changes that simply aren’t for you – it’s not “your” version of the franchise anymore. And if a new show isn’t for you, the healthy reaction is to shrug and hope that there’s an audience out there that falls in love with the franchise, just like you did when you were a kid. After all, you can always enjoy the older shows all over again since there are plenty of Blu-ray/DVD collections available, and even many of the classic games are more accessible. But that’s not how a lot of people react. Not at all.


Thanks again, mom!
Whenever a series defies expectations and appears to go in a drastically new direction, I see a lot of posts about the new series “ruining their childhood.” I’ve never understood this common saying or writing something off before even giving it a fair chance. For example, I’m not a fan of the changes in the upcoming Rise of the TMNT series – everything from the team dynamic to the designs are a totally new direction for the Heroes in a Half Shell. It’s not appealing to me, but how does that tarnish my countless memories of loving the show when I was a kid? How does this ruin my memories of seeing the second live-action movie with my parents, and watching the VHS of the first movie over and over again? How does this ruin my memories of playing the video games at home and in the arcade with friends? How does this ruin my thoughts of playing with the action figures and other toys when I was a kid? And how does this ruin my memory of dressing up in a Michelangelo costume that my mom made me for Halloween? I had my childhood version of the Ninja Turtles and I adored it. I don’t mind that the new show apparently isn’t what I want from the franchise, because at the end of the day, it isn’t meant for me – it’s primarily meant for kids.

The only thing that should truly matter is whether the people behind these new shows are legitimately passionate about them and not creating them just to make a quick buck. Maybe the new TMNT show will win me over, maybe it won’t. But if the show gives kids the same amount of joy that I experienced as a child and turns them into lifelong TMNT fans, then I’d say that’s a pretty awesome accomplishment, even if I’m not a fan of it.
The 2012 show is so underrated.


Follow me on Twitter for site updates.

Comments

  1. I'm of the opposite mentality. I think there are plenty of old cartoons that can be rebooted and given a much more serious spin with an overarching story. It tends to be with shows that were nothing but glorified toylines. I heard great things about that Thundercats reboot and Voltron (while it's become a huge disappointment) was pretty cool for the first few seasons. Outside of comedic cartoons like Ed, Edd and Eddy or Courage the Cowardly Dog, anything that was filled with action could get a decent reboot. I'd love to see Danny Phantom or El Tigre get serious reboots. As for crappier comedic reboots, eh I ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I wasn't attempting to say that franchises can't be handled in a more "serious" way that also appeals to kids. I think the 2012 TMNT series is a great example of this. That show had some great drama and a surprising amount of horror elements.

      Delete
  2. This article ruined my childhood.

    Seriously though, I agree. This was a major issue when the new Star Trek: Discovery was announced and promotion photos revealed major changes in design aesthetics and... gender and race of the main character. It was incredibly depressing that people who claimed to be fans would treat the franchise in such a way when the goal was to breathe life back into the franchise and take it off of life support.

    Also, your mom is awesome for making that costume.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were only two cartoons that didn't appeal to me personally: Batman Beyond and Beware The Batman. That doesn't mean they weren't good cartoons. I grew up on the '60's Spider-Man and marvel Super-Heroes cartoons and the '70's Star Trek and Gilligan's Island 'toons...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish people would read this before attacking every new incarnation of a show they watched as kid and refuses to see it take new shape.

    I should add that I do think some new incarnation can be crap with bad quality and sometimes just created to milk something well known for money and in that case it is deserving of hate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree in a sense. Most of the time this is absolutely true and many people are overreacting to a problem that really doesn't exist, but I would like to point to Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as an example where the outrage makes sense. EMH was canceled mid-plot line even though it had great ratings and great stories for the much worse Avengers Assemble. The writers told the fans that Avengers Assemble would be similar to EMH and carry on those stories, but that simply proved to be false. In this example, I think fans were right to be mad, but in most cases I agree, fans overreact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To some degree I agree, but I do have to somewhat agree with Saint (not the part with the new Voltron beimg dissapointing, still love that show), in that I do wamt some shows to improve in its concept instead of just being a lazy way to take advantage of a popular franchise and to milk it. Is not exactly ruining my childhood, but it is them showing they do not care about a franchise I love. That at least is why I think people said that.

    Granted if the original show only appeal to kids, and the new one does the same thing, it is dissapointing, but expected. If it was a show that used to appeal to everyone amd now dumb it down just for kids, screw them (looking at you TT Go amd Ben 10).

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right, the X-Men thene did play in my head as I was reading that. Actually Batman TAS is my ringtone currently.

    On topic, you're absolutely right. I think this particularly applies for cartoons where they are specifically targeted to a new younger audience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Death of Superman: Enjoyed it? Buy it.

Written by Gregg Katzman The upcoming DC animated movie The Death of Superman has leaked way before its official release . I'm seeing a lot of positive tweets - some fans are even saying it's their new favorite DC animated movie - and that's not surprising since the movie's written by Peter J. Tomasi ( Superman Rebirth , Batman and Robin New 52 ) and co-directed by Sam Liu ( Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay , Teen Titans: The Judas Contract ) and Jake Castorena (storyboard artist for many great animated projects, like Justice League: Gods and Monsters , Batman: Assault on Arkham , and Beware the Batman ). On one hand, I'm really happy to see such enthusiastic comments about The Death of Superman . Taking on such an iconic story, especially within the confines of a relatively new animated universe's continuity (it started in Justice League: War ), is no easy feat. But on the other hand, I'm concerned that people won't add a digital or physical c

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War - The End of an Era

Seven years ago, the DC New 52 Animated Movie Universe was born. I remember it well because I was lucky enough to attend the world premiere of Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  at Comic-Con International 2013. I was writing for Comic Vine at the time, and I absolutely loved the movie. In fact, I liked it so much that I rushed back to my hotel room and began writing my review right away. While so many people at the convention met with friends, networked, and enjoyed being in San Diego on a Friday night, I sat in front of my laptop and started to type away. The Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  premiere wrapped up around 9:30pm, and my glowing review was live on Comic Vine just a few hours later. Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert's Flashpoint  comic book event kicked off DC's slate of The New 52 comics back in 2011, but at the time of the animated movie's release, I had no idea that Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox  would actually spawn an entire universe of

Deadpool 2 review

Review by Gregg Katzman When many people think of Wade Wilson, aka Deadpool, they think he’s basically just a joke character. Lots of fans think he’s just a loudmouth who loves to crack topical jokes while enduring a barrage of bullets and slicing his enemies to pieces, and that’s totally understandable since there are quite a few comics and media appearances that use the Merc with a Mouth for just comedic relief and action scenes. But there’s more to Deadpool than just jokes and violence. The best Deadpool stories always go beyond the comedy and fighting to take a good look at the man behind the mask; the man who uses humor to hide his emotions. Deadpool is a man that can’t seem to obtain true happiness – no matter how hard he tries, it always seems to be just out of reach. Deep down, he thinks he may not deserve real happiness, either. He may not be a traditional hero and always do the right thing, but he always has the potential to rise above and do what needs to be done to s